пятница, 15 июля 2016 г.

Meat Dumplings Pelmeni

Meat Dumplings Pelmeni


Meat Dumplings Pelmeni


I would have loved to taste these – and my husband is salivating looking at the photos right now! So pretty and so much work… I have now been told I must make them or pierogi. Can you just come over and show us how?


I would love to, for real. We need to have a dumpling making party! We can make all kinds-meat, potato, mushrooms.


I miss my grandma’s dumplings she made it down one of the best of course when I used to live in Russia


Grandma’s dumplings are always the best, Misha! Always!! I miss everything my grandma used to cook.


What a fantastic tradition. I’m glad you found time to make them this year (even if it was with your mom over Skype) and bring them to us. The look absolutely divine. I bet that filling is amazing.


Thank you, Lynn! I am always delaying making them but when I finally set some time I aside I always remember how relaxing and soothing it actually is! There is something seriously therapeutic about making each dumpling by hand.


Wow! I have never heard of pelmeni, but I absolutely know I would love them! What fun when you are able to share traditional dishes like this


Thank you, Jennifer! I am sad most people outside of Russia dont’t know much about Russian food or worse yet, assume it’s bland and boring because it is far from the truth! I hope my blog will help to remedy that problem.


I’ve never heard of pelmeni, but that look great. I’m sure folding them is a real art, so they don’t burst open.


It’s so refreshing to see something that isn’t just covered in lashings of tomato sauce too!


Hahaha tomato sauce on pelmeni would be sacrilege!!! Thank you, Angela!


This is the first time I’ve seen pelmeni, Julia! I am sure mine would nowhere near as perfect as yours but I would love to try them. x


I could totally eat pelmeshki every.single.day! There’s something about a big bowl of hearty dumplings that’s SO comforting!


Hi! Thank you for your recipe. My Grandmum always made these for her family, but differently. She was from Ukraine. She taught me how to make them her way. She would hang sour milk in a calico bag for a few days until it was sour & seperated the curds & whey. She made her own pastry & placed a teaspoon of the sour cheese into each little round pastry. She turned them into haves and secured the edges tight. She cooked them in boiling water, & served them with lots of butter. They were wonderful. I make mine, but use baker’s cheese or neufachel, or cheese I buy from The Russian shop. I am the only one in our family that makes these, & everyone is always wanting some. I have tried the mince ones as well. They are all great!!!!


What a lovely memory of your grandma, Jill! I buy mine as well quite often, I love having a stash in the freezer for the nights when I am too tired to cook but nothing compares to homemade ones!


Thank you Julia for featuring my Julienne recipe. Your pelmeni look so authentic and mouthwatering.


These look so beautiful and delicious! My mom always made hers round by hand and that’s how I’ve stuck to making them. Only these days I don’t have time to make them and our russian supermarket makes them fresh so that’s been my go to. Maybe one day


Can I do beef only for the meat filling?


Absolutely Lena, you can even use chicken if you like!


Never heard of them until now, but they look like a lot of fun to make and darn tasty to eat!


Janie x


PS I love the fact that you skyped your mum so you could make them together. So cute


Thank you, Janie! They are in fact pretty darn tasty! I had to call my mum I just couldn’t bare making them for a couple of hours without a proper chat like we used to have when I was little!


I looove pelmeni dumplings, preferably with sour cream! My husband made some a few years ago, along with cheese vareneki, for an evening of vodka tasting with friends. Time to ask him to repeat it, with your folding tips this time!


Kavey, I am so impressed that no only did you hear of pelmeni but also tried them! They are relatively unknown outside of Russia. I hope you and your husband get to make them again, they are so worth the work!


This is such a beautiful and delicious recipe. It was lovely to cook a Russian dish. I am so happy I found it, thank you!


Thank you for stopping by, Olivia!


These look just delicious and I would love to make a batch with my family helping me and freeze them for the winter, what a lovely idea. I’ve never heard of them before as I’m not familiar with many Russian dishes, but I will certainly try them out one day.


there’s really no need to boil them for 10-15 min, 3-5 is enough


also the traditional shape is the one with the ends clamped together.


Thirdly, where would Russians get dill and parsley in the winter… so I make/ eat them


without the greens.


Cheers


Thank you for your comments, however while 3-5 minutes are enough for Italian ravioli pelmeni do take longer to cook due to thicker dough, especially larger ones made at home and rolled by hand, 10-15 minutes of cooking time is necessary to cook them from frozen. As far as traditional shape goes, it varies from region to region, the one you mention is what is commonly seen in shops, while homecooks employ creativity when making their own, which is what I wrote about in my blog post. I grew up in Russia and do speak from my personal experience.


Omg wow yo these look really way good and so very yummmm my mouth is totally watering right now gurl if I were to make these sometime would these freeze well beautiful presentation with the pelmeni darlin have not had pelmeni in ages they were very good for store bought had them @ these very kind hearted Jewish people for Friday night Shabbat (Sabbath) dinner and the next day for lunch for kosher they were sooooo fresh and tasty the Russian supermarket bye sells a bunch of kosher pelmeni and sm always so tempted to buy but I’m like nah wanna make my own and after seeing your lovely yummy recipe it’s a total must


Hello Julia,


I don’t have the food processor, do you think I can get same results using kitchen aid?


Thank you


I am sure you can, Nadiya! I haven’t tried it myself but I know other bloggers have. Enjoy!


I made them using wonton wrap and they fell apart in bound water. What do you suggest? I used eggs whites for edges.


I would suggest using the dough in the recipe, Bonita. Wonton wrappers are far too thin for the robust filling of the pelmeni. I don’t have much experience with wonton wrappers, so I can’t really give other suggestions. I think I tried the same trick ages ago but was disappointed with the results.


I was lucky enough to date a guy from Ukraine for a few years, he taught me loads of stuff to cook, one of my faces of course was pelmeni, one of the things I took in the breakup was the mold, haha! I just made borscht the other day, been almost 20 years since we dated and I’m still making recipes from back in the day with some refresher reads like this recipe of course!!


You took a pelmeni mold!!! This made me laugh, Jamie! I am happy you are still making the recipes you learned 20 years ago. That relationship was clearly not wasted!


Usually I serve Pelmini with Russian sour cream (smetlana) and horseradish. I buy both at a nearby European market.


I always fix extra so I can fry them in butter the next day. I don’t flip them until they begin to get crispy on the bottom, like potstickers. I serve those with soy sauce.


But tonight I tossed them with pesto and sliced sun-dried tomatoes — a new favorite.


I’m also planning to try them with a sharp cheddar sauce or maybe chili with no beans and lots of grated pepper jack cheese.


Who knew the humble dumplings were so versatile


These are all such good options, Kent. I was just cooking pelmeni last night for my kids and as I was melting some butter into them I thought they could definitely be dressed up in more creative ways. I love the pesto idea, will try!


Tonight is Orthodox Christmas Eve, which means all of Russia, Ukraine and many other Orthodox countries are celebrating! (Okay, it was Christmas Eve when I first wrote it but due to technical difficulties it’s only being published now!!) It’s been a tradition for our family to do something special on this day for many years. Although we celebrate Christmas on December 25th we love having another holiday meal on January 6th as well. Last year I posted a special recipe round-up from all of my favourite Russian and Ukrainian bloggers. I loved it so much, I decided to do it again! I am bringing to you all kinds of festive Slavic dishes and starting with Russian meat dumplings Pelmeni.


I am grinning from ear to ear just looking at these little beauties! Making Russian meat dumplings Pelmeni and sharing them with you have been on my list ever since I started blogging three years ago! I cannot even begin to tell you what an emotional attachment every Russian has to these meat dumplings. If you ever ask me what defines Russian food pelmeni would be without a doubt at the top of my list. If you ever ask me what I like to eat when I am sad or happy pelmeni would be way up there as well. If you ever ask me what Russian food I would like to teach my children these meat dumplings will be my most earnest answer. After all, that is what my mom taught me when I was barely my daughter’s age! And not the sloppy ones, she taught me how to make them “properly”; pelmeni with pretty ruffled edges!


Pelmeni making is an incredibly social affair, you NEVER make them alone! Traditionally all women of the extended family would gather to make pelmeni! They would make loads and loads and then freeze the lot, which would last them through a long Russian winter. So it’s no wonder I Skyped my mom and got her to keep me company as I cranked out about 130 of those glorious meat dumplings!! There are many ways to make them. The traditional way is handmade but there is also a special mold you can use that speeds up the process quite a bit! I will attempt to walk you through the handmade method.


Pelmeni come in different shapes and sizes and I’ve shown you the most common ones. They do take a bit of time but they are well worth it. It’s truly incredible to see what gorgeous flavour can come out of the simplest ingredients! If you are a pasta lover you will be all over these meat dumplings as they are essentially meat filled pasta but not just any meat, it’s so juicy you better watch out or it will drip all over your chin when you bite into one!


Pelmeni recipe is pretty standard but it varies greatly in how people eat them. I like mine buttered, sprinkled with fresh dill and black pepper and then dipped in sour cream. Brad likes his pelmeni with dijon mustard and sour cream. Some people have them with a bit of vinegar and I am getting reports from family in Russia that lately even soy sauce has become a favourite!


I hope I’ve convinced you to venture out into the delicious world of meat dumpling making. I promise you will not regret it!! I am also delighted to offer more Russian and Ukrainian holiday recipes from some of the bloggers, who share a similar background with me and maybe, just maybe I will inspire you to celebrate Christmas one more time!


I am sure after some pelmeni you’d love something for your sweet tooth, so I would urge you to check out these stunning cakes.


Chocolate Kiev Cake by Let the Baking Begin


Cranberry Apricot Loaf Keks by Natasha’s Kitchen


Cherry Crepe Cake by Olga’s Flavor Factory


Royal Honey Cake by Simply Home Cooked


Raspberry Roll By Olga’s Cooking


If you are looking to add more savoury dishes to your pelmeni please have a look here…


Layered Chicken Salad from Valentina’s Corner


Christmas Garnet Wreath Salad by Lea’s Cooking


Beet Vinegret Salad by Salad Menu


Easy Pickled Salmon by Grab and Go Recipes


Cabbage Rolls by Valya’s Taste of Home


Chicken and Mushroom Julienne by Delights of Culinaria


Enjoy!!!


~Julia


Original article and pictures take http://vikalinka.com/2016/01/09/meat-dumplings-pelmeni site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий